[mdlug] iptables question

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Mar 22 20:31:17 EDT 2007

Carl & Robert,

Thank you for your replies, but the fix is still lacking :-<.

Now to address your questions:

The firewall machine has 2 network cards.  eth0 is at
192.168.1.2 and is on my lan.  eth1 is multi-addressed as
216.144.204.42 and 216.144.204.43 and connects to the DSL modem which
connects to the internet.  ifconfig output (in the attached file)
indicates both cards and the 3 ports are addressed.  Further supporting
evidence is that this message is being written on my LAN workstation,
will be sent to the firewall machine (via eth0), and will be sent to
the MDLUG list (via eth1).  That you see the message indicates some
level of functionality.

The attached file also has two "netmasq -L" sections - one from 2005
and one from today.  They show that "Table: nat" is present and
defined.  eth1 is present as is the masq_eth1 chain.  The 2005 listing
has "MASQUERADE" -- which is missing from today's listing.

The final section of the attached file is strace output showing (1)
libipt_MASQUERADE being opened, read, mmap'd, and closed and (2) the
creation of a socket and subsequent nat operations with the last one (a
call to setsocket()) resulting in "EINVAL - Invalid argument".

Any further ideas?

Regards,

David