[mdlug] Vinyl to digital

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Mar 21 12:48:38 EDT 2007

> From: Paul

> 	Ratshack used to sell a phono pre-amp for not much, if you
> really dont have a home amplifier with a phono pre-amp. Recording
> such a low signal would I imagine, reduce the real dynamic range
> of the signal, (eg. if you are sampling at 16 bits but your highest
> sample never gets above 8 bits, you are essentially recording in
> 8 bit quality) and then dramaticly amplify the floor of whatever
> noise exists in the path thru the card.

 I would have thought so, too, but the resultant files have sound
about as good as those records ever sounded. Sometime in the next few
days I'm going to do some experimenting and see if things get any
better. I'm not expecting miracles from source material that's over
20 years old in some cases. :->

> 	Btw. AFAIK libsamplerate aka Secret Rabbit Code is the best
> thing for resampling out there. Ive heard that sox uses more primative
> techniques. (maybe that has changed)

 Well, I used the highest-quality SOX resampler for my tests with
Gramofile. I'll play with libsamplerate next time, too.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                             (313) 227-2317

 "President Bush has introduced an exciting innovation - the fake town
  hall. In these stirring non-debates, pre-screened citizens are free
 to voice their president's opinions, and pepper him with the toughest
            of compliments." - Samantha Bee, The Daily Show