[mdlug] Novell + Microsoft press release: Windows is cheaper than Linux

Paul set at pobox.com
Sat Mar 17 03:05:03 EDT 2007

Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net>, on Fri Mar 16, 2007 [10:02:47 PM] said:
> 2007-03-16, Monsieur Paul a ecrit:
> > Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net>, on Fri Mar 16, 2007 [01:00:36 PM] said:
> >> In case anyone is still naive enough to ignore Novell's deal with
> >> the devil:
> >> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39286295,00.htm
> >>
> >> Man, Novell just keeps digging that grave deeper and deeper...
> >
> > 	Hi;
>
>          Hi; shouldn't you be using a comma instead of a semi-colon
>          after "Hi"? :)
>
> > 	Seems to be working out ok for them so far:
>
> With emphasis on the words "so far". IIRC, things initially were

	Hi;

	I dont claim to predict the future, just noting the trend
doesnt seem to be downward, but radically pointed in the other
direction as far as their Linux business goes. Possibly the people
Novell are offending are not their intended customers...

> "working out" for SCO when they turned to the dark side. ;) Also:

	I seem to recall Caldera was going rapidly downhill before
bringing in McBride and trying desperately to monetize their SCO
assests by blackmailing their customers, but Im not going looking
for citations;)

> http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/14/novell-linux-software-markets-equity-cx_jl_0314markets30.html

	This also backs up my asertation; their Linux business is
growing like gangbusters-- just not enough to offset their other
operational losses. (the rest of the downgrade pertains to cost
cutting expected to impact overall sales in the future, and if
anything, not changing their strategy more radically) It makes no
mention of their Msft hijinks, etc. and I would expect it to be
exactly the same if none of that had ever happened.
	Novell has seen the writing on the wall for some time; thats
why they bought their way into Linux...

> Michael

Paul
set at pobox.com

ps. Im not defending Novell; I dont really care too much about the company
or SUSE the distribution. I just dont see any signs that their Linux
strategy isnt working, and working well *currently*. (happy with the
emphasis? :)