[mdlug] Dell survey for Linux

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Mar 14 12:42:26 EDT 2007

> From: Robert Adkins

> >  Um, I'm not sure *any* distro is "geared to be everything for all
> > purposes". I certainly can't think of one like that. That's pretty
> > much the *reason* there are a plethora of distros. (Incidentally,
> > I can't think of *any* non-Linux OS that's omni-appropriate, either.)

>     I must differ here. While there may well be multiple versions of the
> same distro produced by a particular vendor, along the lines of
> Microsoft producing different versions of Windows, geared between Home
> Desktop, Business Desktop, Small Business Servers and Enterprise level
> computing, there are certain Linux vendors that have similar product
> offerings that are typically looked at being very similar, even if they
> have significant differences in the kernel and some provided supporting
> software.

 I'm afraid I can't really parse the above. To paraphrase what I get out
of it: "Some distros come in multiple versions, but other distros come
in versions that have multiple differences." I'm sure that's not what you
meant, so I hope you can explicate.

>     Most of the "Darling Distros" are typically geared directly for
> desktop and or just home user/hobbyist deployment. After a while, the
> "Darling Distro" starts looking at more business related and Enterprise
> level computing. It is around this point that the Linux Community
> typically flits away like a butterfly, looking for a new
> "Darling Distro".

 I don't really see that as the typical dynamic. I have seen distros that
essentially *fork* themselves, moving to a "for-pay" model aimed at
'Enterprise' customers, and a pure open-source version that hobbyists/home
users like. The 'open-source' one tends to get less development and
attention, due to fairly obvious business and social reasons. Then, *some*
of the 'Linux Community' (which is not monolithic, look at this group for
examples) start looking for other distributions.

 I think your proposed model is mixing up cause and effect a bit.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                             (313) 227-2317

  "Real faith, you see, leads us to deeper reflection and not -- not
 ever -- to the thing we as humans so very much want: Easy certainty."
                           - Jim Wallis