[mdlug] Dell survey for Linux

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:19:20 EDT 2007

On 3/14/07, Ingles, Raymond <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:

> > rWhen the real problem is that the current
> > Darling Distro isn't really geared to be everything for all purposes.
>
>  Um, I'm not sure *any* distro is "geared to be everything for all
> purposes". I certainly can't think of one like that. That's pretty
> much the *reason* there are a plethora of distros. (Incidentally,
> I can't think of *any* non-Linux OS that's omni-appropriate, either.)

I agree with that 100%. If anybody could make an OS that was all
things to all people, that person would become rich. I just don't
think it's possible. Bill Gates got rich, and all he delivered was an
OS that was most things to most people, *when it wasn't crashing*!

I can't even find a distro that's all things to *me*. I keep going
back and forth between what I consider the two best distros (Gentoo
and Mepis), and they are very much unlike one another (almost
opposites), starting with the install procedure.

--
Wolfger
http://randomsynapsefiring.eponym.com/