[mdlug] Dell survey for Linux

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Mar 14 11:13:50 EDT 2007

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
>> From: Robert Adkins
>>
>>     The cynical part of me is strongly suggesting that the current
>> Darling Distro isn't well suited for all tasks, from Desktops to
>> Corporate Data Center servers and that shortcoming could be a
>> reason for Dell to proclaim in the trade press that Linux simply isn't
>> ready for prime time. When the real problem is that the current
>> Darling Distro isn't really geared to be everything for all purposes.
>>

>  Um, I'm not sure *any* distro is "geared to be everything for all
> purposes". I certainly can't think of one like that. That's pretty
> much the *reason* there are a plethora of distros. (Incidentally,
> I can't think of *any* non-Linux OS that's omni-appropriate, either.)
    I must differ here. While there may well be multiple versions of the
same distro produced by a particular vendor, along the lines of
Microsoft producing different versions of Windows, geared between Home
Desktop, Business Desktop, Small Business Servers and Enterprise level
computing, there are certain Linux vendors that have similar product
offerings that are typically looked at being very similar, even if they
have significant differences in the kernel and some provided supporting
software.

    Most of the "Darling Distros" are typically geared directly for
desktop and or just home user/hobbyist deployment. After a while, the
"Darling Distro" starts looking at more business related and Enterprise
level computing. It is around this point that the Linux Community
typically flits away like a butterfly, looking for a new "Darling Distro".

    Maybe I am not deeply in tune with the greater Linus Community, this
is just something I have observed over the years.

    The general rule, I have observed, is that a given "Darling Distro"
has a few really good ideas/features and is an underdog. The community
swells under it, the distro grows by leaps and bounds and then starts
"corporatizing" itself. Some people in the community see this as
"selling out" or simply dislike being part of the giant crowd, so they
seek out another "underdog distro" and the process repeats.

    That's all I am really talking about. Personally, Linux is Linux to
me. I am comfortable using/figuring out the minor to major differences
between distros that it isn't a major issue/problem for me.

    -Rob