[mdlug] computer shutting down

Joe St.Clair linux at ksimachine.com
Tue Mar 13 18:07:18 EDT 2007

Wolfger wrote:
> I mentioned in my DST post that my computer has been shutting itself
> off of late. Can anybody tell me how to diagnose this problem? I'm
> betting the MoBo is going bad (one PCI slot is confirmed dead as of
> December), but I'd hate to spend the time and money on replacing it
> only to not have that be the problem. Is there any easy
> non-part-swapping diagnosis I can perform? Could it be a heat problem?
> What is the threshold temperature? All my fans are working, and this
> is a recent problem.

I have a Abit board that has been doing the same thing.  It has a fan on
the one of the bridge chips
and the fan had failed.  It would take 6-7 hours before it would shut
down.  It is a small custom fan.
I replaced it with a scavenged small cpu fan and it has been up for
24hours now.  I agree with others
on checking (swapping) the power supply and re-seating everything.

Joe