[mdlug] streaming music

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Fri Mar 9 11:40:33 EST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 05:01:37AM -0500, Brian Hurley wrote:

> On Thursday 08 March 2007 09:39 pm, jack freeman wrote:
> > Im looking for a program that will allow me to stream music from my web
> > server to where ever I am. Any one know of any?
> >
> > Jack
>
> http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/home.asp
> http://edna.sourceforge.net/

another option is slimserver, which is designed to support the slim
devices line of hardware players but also has a software player.

one thing that's nice about slimserver is that it has built-in
transcoding support.  so if you have, say, a 128k uplink, you can
have it transcode everything on the fly to 128kbs (which probably wouldn't
really work very well due to tcp/ip overhead, but you get the idea).

This is irrelevant if you have enough uplink for all your music
files, but if, like me, you encode things in high-bitrate flac
format, it could be a real win.

that said, I'd suggest you look at the other options folks have
mentioned unless the transcoding ability appeals to you.

danno