[mdlug] Realtek silent data corruption

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Jul 31 11:23:49 EDT 2007

> From: Mathew Enders

> I think that after reading it that the data inside the packets was
> corrupted not the packets themselves and that is how it passed the
> TCP/IP check.  Some else asked the same question in the comments.

 With TCP connections, the data has a checksum, too. But it's possible
for certain patterns of data corruption to still pass the check. And
if the driver at the sending end corrupts the data (reading it in from
the sending application) before it puts it on the wire, there's nothing
the receiver can do to detect that.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                 (313) 227-2317

 The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable
  operating system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying
          to take over the world.  - Drakmere