[mdlug] Realtek silent data corruption

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 30 21:03:31 EDT 2007

Michael Rudas wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Michael Rudas wrote:
>
>> Which also begs the question, "How did this driver get
>> WHQL-certified?"  It shows real sloppiness on the part of MS and
>> Realtek (I admit, no surprises there).
>
> Oops... s/begs the question/raises the question... (tnx Carl).
>
> First day with my new brain-- it takes a while for the neurons to knit.
>
> -- Mikey

This also raises the question, at least among the ignorant like me, why
did the error detecting/ correcting/ portion of the TCP stack, the crc -
retry algorithms, etc, allow this? Sheer number of errors? Where the
algorithms just over whelmed? Would a faster CPU make a difference? Is
it just a matter that in a large enough population of bad packets some
will, by chance, have the same crc check sum as the original?

Wondering
Raymond McLaughlin