[mdlug] How not to do off-site backup

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 13:41:47 EDT 2007

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/07/26/800000-stolen-social-security-numbers-a-22-year-old-scapegoat/

July 26, 2007
800,000 stolen social security numbers: a 22-year-old scapegoat?
By David Cassel

800,000 stolen social security numbers - a 22-year-old scapegoatA
22-year-old intern said today he's the "scapegoat" for the loss of
over 800,000 social security numbers.

A backup tape was stolen from his car last month containing at least
770,000 social security numbers (with the corresponding names) for
Ohio taxpayers. It also contained the social security numbers for
another 64,000 state employees. Today the intern issued a statement
with his side of the story.

Four months ago 22-year-old Jared Ilovar — who's studying computers at
DeVry University — started an internship with the state of Ohio. He
said he'd sometimes take home a data tape to ensure there was an
off-site version of the data. "The extent of my instructions on what
to do after I removed the tapes from the tape drive and took the tapes
out of the building was, 'bring these back tomorrow.'"