[mdlug] are we dead yet?

Robert Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Wed Jul 25 14:41:48 EDT 2007

Michael, Ray, Greg,

>>> MDLUG is just a shadow of what it used to be. ...
>> But certainly if I had to choose between the situation then and now I'd
>> take today in a heartbeat. ...
> So in a way, the LUG has done its job - ...

<IMHO>
I think the job need has changed.  Businesses have grown to service
some of the needs (distribution, configuration, ...) formerly supplied
by the lugs.  Virtual communities supply many other needs (tech support,
installation, ...)

History is repeating itself.  Now the lugs need to start serving as
standards publishers, educators, and quality watchdogs.  The Society
of Automative Engineers was the advocate of interoperable mechanical
standards, we now call "English".

The virtual communities tend to center around one product/brand/...
that is their principle support.  As always, short-term business
interests will push the business to "manage" the virtual communities
toward accepting decreasing quality standards (rather than invest
in design or repair), decreasing utility to the end customers (rather
than investing in research), and decreasing flexibility (rather than
stocking diversity).  To maintain the customer satisfaction, required for
long-term business interests, someone is needed to advocate research
and improving customer utility.

By linking customers who share geography, but do not share identical
interests/products/brands, the lugs now interlink the virtual communities
so that the above short-term pressures cannot go far, before the customers
are aware by comparison.  Even though too few customers may directly
interact via lugs, this tenuous connection is precious.

To fulfill this need, the lugs are well placed to follow
the lead of the Consumers Union, Automobile Assocations of America,
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, and many others.
</IMHO>

My $0.02
--
Dr. B

"E-mail is not to be used to pass on information or data. It should be
 used only to be used for company business."
      -- unknown