[mdlug] Lightweight desktop distribution recommendation

M. D. Krauss zeros0and1ones at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 17:40:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:44:14 -0400
"Michael ORourke" <mrorourke at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Any suggestions on a lightweight Linux distribution to use on older
> hardware?
>
> So far I have tried SuSE Desktop 10.2, but I think I can get by with
> something much more lightweight.  Looked into "Damn Small Linux", but
> that seems to be the other extreme.  Any suggestions for something
> somewhere in the middle?

Personally, I would use Debian and just choose the packages I wanted.
Start with a minimal server install, and add whatever
light-weight desktop software you like.  Depending on just how old this
hardware is, we could be talking anything from "apt-get install twm"
to "apt-get install wmaker" to "apt-get install rox" (that last one
after adding the Rox repository to your sources.list).  Just installing
a window manager or desktop is a nice easy way to bootstrap in X and
anything else you really need. Other suggested window managers would
include XFCE, UDE, fvwm...

Good luck,
Matthew