[mdlug] "Digital" signatures

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 19:19:10 EDT 2007

At 12:11 PM 7/22/07, Dan Pritts wrote:
>as it turns out, there is a US law that states that "electronic
>signatures" (whatever that means) are valid/enforceable.

     I hope that it would mean a PGP signature, which is designed to
as much as possible
eliminate the possibility that someone other than the key owner
signed it instead.

     I have to agree with Michael Corral here. The purpose of a
"signature" as I understand it
is to authenticate the document as being written by, or at least
authorized by, the person
signing the document. At least in theory, handwriting is supposed to
be an identifying
characteristic of a person, so that a different individual "signing"
a given name to a document
should be detectable.

     The trouble with a Jpeg of a signature is that anyone in
possession of a document with
the target signature, or even a copy, can create such a thing for the
target signature
himself. Thus it is impossible to prove whether or not someone
"signed" a document by
the presence of such an image. If the Congress actually passed a law
allowing a *photograph
of a signature* to count as valid, they really *are* idiots not
worthy of our obedience or trust.

     Personally I prefer to think that Monsieur Kalten was joking.

----

- Drew.