[mdlug] [OT] Perspective

M. D. Krauss zeros0and1ones at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 03:38:51 EDT 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:

> 2007-07-21, Monsieur A. Kalten a ecrit:

> > To include your "John Hancock" you are going to have to create
> > an image file, ultimately in eps format, and then work it in to
> > that LaTex template using the \includegraphics{} directive.
>
> Huh? First of all, an electronic "John Hancock" is *not* a "bona fide
> signature". Where did you ever get that notion? Whether it's done by
> using a cursive font or by scanning a handwritten signature into an
> image file, that electronic version is not your legal signature. In
> fact, putting such a thing in an electronically submitted document
> file just makes you look silly, because there's no need for it. I've
> never seen it required anywhere. Seriously, doing that is the kind of
> thing that clueless lusers do because they think it's "kewl". I am
> shocked and dismayed that a user who considers himself experienced and
> knowledgeable would even think of doing such a silly thing.

I think this is a fairly easily generalizable example.  The point
Kalten was making (left unquoted) was that it is hard to position an
image where you want it, not that it is hard to include an image of
a signature.  I don't know if that point is true - you
didn't address it - but it is valid.

Nonetheless, I happen to know that Kmart and Meijer both accept certain
documents from manufacturers and distributors through email with just
this kind of digital "signature". It may be asinine, but it is true.

Matthew