[mdlug] [OT] Perspective

M. D. Krauss zeros0and1ones at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 17:56:36 EDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:50:35 -0400 (EDT)
Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:

> 2007-07-20, Monsieur Paul a ecrit:
> > 	This is an interesting piece on what a computer means to
> > a professional writer-- in 1982. Its not a 'in my day' nostalgia
> > thing, but rather an article written in 1982 with some amusing
> > and ironic historical perspective, and most of all a refreshing
> > enthusiasm for computing for the ordinary man.

/snip

> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/198207/fallows-computer

Great article, I was grinning all the way through.  Thanks for
sharing.  I was especially struck by how *expensive* those systems were
back then.  And think about it -- a Linux distro running off a
single floppy disk, no X-Windows, armed with nothing  beyond the GNU
utils and console-mode Emacs could do more, and more easily, than the
multi-thousand-dollars word-processing systems of that day.

Regards,
Matthew