[mdlug] The new "surface" computer

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Jul 18 09:32:20 EDT 2007

> From: Joseph Vartanian

> >  MS put the capacity in NTFS, but never really came up with a use for it.

> Actually, they do have uses for this feature.  MS SQL Server 2005 uses
> ADS (alternative data streams), as does MS Exchange Server 2003.

 But, so far as I can see, there's nothing about ADS that can't be done with
regular files. I'd be willing to believe that they did that just to make those
products *less* portable... :->

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                              (313) 227-2317

 "Indeed, the one group that would almost certainly oppose the views of
     21st-century evangelicals are the 18th-century evangelicals."
                            Steven Waldman
     http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0604.waldman.html