[mdlug] System Build Saga

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:57:25 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, David Lane <dcl400m at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Recently there was a sale at an electronics store that when I bought a
> certain CPU I got a free mother board, that was the beginning of my problems.
>
> I have built a few (3 to be specific) systems in the so my 4th build would
> be a piece of cake. WRONG, the off brand mother board was the problem. The
> motherboard that did NOT work was an "ECS" board.

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems, but I must point out two things:

1. ECS is not an "off" brand.  The manufacturer is FIC, the world's
largest motherboard maker.   They also make the PCChips brand, among
others.  Just because YOU haven't heard of them doesn't make them
unknown.
2. A BIOS update will probably cure the problem-- motherboards, by
their very nature, MUST be OS-agnostic, so a board that won't run
Linux usually just needs a BIOS re-flash, or simpler still, a BIOS
reset-- problems which can happen with ANY brand of mobo, believe me.
Did you Google the brand and model, by the way?

-- Mikey