[mdlug] System Build Saga

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 15:27:47 EDT 2007

Recently there was a sale at an Eletronics store that When I bought a Certian CPU I got a free mother board, that was the begining of mt problems.

  I have built a few (3 to be specific) systems in the so my 4th build would be a piece of cake. WRONG, the off brand mother board was the problem.  The biggest confusing thing is the Windows would load and run. But another system running windows is not very intresting.  This build was to be a suse Linux box.  I spent hours trouble shooting why Suse Did not load.  The FIX was to get a new mother board.  The Motherboard that did NOT work was an "ECS" board.

  I replaced it with an MSI board from Micro Center. Needless to say we are up and running.  The Install was able to "see" the SATA drive.  Simetimes even Windows install does not know how to talk to SATA drives.

  Once the mothe board was replaced the install was okay.  Just watch out for off brand motherboards.

  David