[mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Jul 9 15:02:09 EDT 2007

> From: Wolfger

> That statement doesn't make any sense. I like gaming on Linux, and yet
> I still have to jump through the same hoops (if not more) as my
> Windows-using counterparts to play the same games they do.

 Well, I don't play all of the same games they do. I play a lot of them
(Quake [I II III], Unreal Tournament, Aliens vs Predator, Descent 3, RTCW,
etc.) but they have native Linux ports. I have Introversion's Uplink and Darwinia,
and today's my birthday. I'm hoping I'll get DEFCON tonight. I'm also pondering
Cold War, if I get enough 'fun money'. None of the above games require any kind of
crack or anything to play under Linux...

 The only game that I play on Linux that required any kind of 'crack' was
"American McGee's Alice". Plays great under Wine, flawlessly as far as I
can tell.

> I think what you mean is that you like open source games.

 I also enjoy quality time with BZFlag and suchlike, of course.

> "Gaming on Linux" is not necessarily open source.

 Yup, you're right. But when closed-source games have Linux native ports, I haven't
run into a one that required any kind of 'CD Validation' or anything like that.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                          (313) 227-2317

 "[B]eing able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more
 than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer."
                     - Eric Scott Raymond