[mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Jul 9 09:42:24 EDT 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:[mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)
From: Ingles, Raymond <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com>
To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Date: Monday, July 09, 2007 9:28:48 AM
>> From: Robert Adkins
>>

>>> At my current job, my boss likes linux and we use it wherever we can,
>>> along with legacy unix.   He would like to roll out CAD linux boxes, but
>>> neither UG nor Catia are available for linux.
>>>

>>> Is it politics and/or M$ money?
>>>

>>     UG and Catia are/were both born upon UNIX, so it seems to me that it
>> should be far from immeasurably difficult to port over to Linux.
>>

>  Don't the CAD programs have a long history of 'anti-piracy' measures and
> such? Dongles, codes, and license servers, oh my! Enforcing such measures it
> a lot harder when the end user can muck with the actual operating system. It
> might be paranoia on the part of the CAD companies.
>
>  Just a theory. One reason I like gaming on Linux is that I don't have to
> bother with cracks and such just to play legitimately-purchased games without
> digging out the CD or whatever each time.
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Ray Ingles                                            (313) 227-2317

    There's cracks available for every CAD/CAM package on the market.
The question is, would one want to jeopardize their business profits
running unlicensed software and getting caught?

    I would like to think that for the majority of businesses, the
answer would be a resounding "No!".

    The question of whether or not the software protection mechanism
will be cracked is absolutely moot. The problem is, while the
programming team and support staff are likely very aware of that, the
decision making part of CAD/CAM software provides has no understanding
of this technical fact and thus it won't go away anytime soon. (Which
probably explains their fear with Linux quite succinctly.)

    -Rob