[mdlug] Default font in xterm

Dr. Robert J. Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Sat Jul 7 02:48:17 EDT 2007

R,

> Is there a way to find out the name of the font that is being used by
> default in xterm. I open an xterm on one of the linux machines today and the
> font is 'hug'. I would like to use a smaller version of the same font.

You can query X resources interactively with appres(1).

    bash> appres XTerm | grep -i font
    *VT100*font:  -misc-fixed-medium-r-*-*-13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1

See X(7) and appres(1) for further details.

Most X clients including xterm, select their default font, geometry, size,
... based on "X resources".  X resources are key-value pairs selected by
prefix string from files found in directories like /usr/X11/lib/app-defaults/
.

Traditionally, resource names (keys) for an application begin with the
capitalized application name, preceded by a capital X if the name
begins with an x.  xterm(1) searches for XTerm.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Dr. B