[mdlug] OpenSuSE ???

DRIVERAY at ameritech.net DRIVERAY at ameritech.net
Thu Jul 5 15:58:22 EDT 2007

>As I said I have an off brand Motherboard.

Have you torture test this mobo? Boot into knoppix (runlevel 3)
and import the kerenel source tree, and run continuous kernel
compiles for 24 hour or so. If it does this without errors, then
run memtest for another day.

Also there are kernel work arounds for known buggy BIOs, but they
often don't auto-detect.

>I downloaded OpenSUSE 10.2 this week and it was able to auto
>detect the hardware, that was great however I'm getting
>corruption errors for the disk image.

Do you mean the fresh disk or iso is failing the install's built
in self test?
Do you have a known good system you can use do download and burn
the ISO(s) on? I recommend the DVD over the CD set if you can
swing it.

>This Version has more SATA drive support.

The system I set up is my first with SATA. Sound like I held off
about the the right amount.

One big improvement I see relative to previous SuSE versions is
in the dependencies in the RPMs. Previously I would run into
situations where I would want to remove a few unused packages to
free up some disk space only, to be told other installed packages
depended on the one I wanted to delete. When I elected to delete
these I soon encountered an absurd cascade of dependencies that
forced me to abort the endeavor or else tell the system to ignore
a huge bunch of dependencies with out any idea how important any
of them really were. In one case I discovered some sound related
packages had been installed on a computer that had no sound card.
After about three iterations of dependency checks I was at the
point of being told that I would also need to uninstall the X
windowing system. Huh?

In SuSE 10.2 I did some package pruning after the install, and
the few dependencies I was shown were few and entirely reasonable.

Raymond McLaughlin