[mdlug] OpenSuSE ???

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Mon Jul 2 17:52:20 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 11:36 -0700, David Lane wrote:
> What are the issues with OpenSuSE?
>
> I was concidering moving to it.

David,
	I run opensuse 10.2 on an IBM Thinkpad T30. There is a hack to get
power consumption down to acceptable levels when suspended. The "Zen"
updater simply sucks, as does the new improved main menu. I killed both,
the former in favor of manually updating and the latter in favor of the
"traditional" Gnome menu. Network manager sometimes goes astray, but
it's not just opensuse and the same for evolution. All in all I'd say
I'm very happy with it. It seems rock solid, suspends and resumes w/o
incident. I was up to 45 days uptime before it mistakenly got rebooted.
Battery life isn't the greatest compared to Ubuntu running on an
identical machine, but okay. Old batteries and all. I will be loading
opensuse on this second machine when I get some spare time, Ubuntu just
doesn't dot as many "i's" as opensuse. Please bear in mind I can only
compare to Ubuntu and the Maemo flavor of Debian. For my money, it just
works.

Best Regards,

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>