[mdlug] Is Vista going to be the new Windows ME?

Duane Brown dobwan at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 30 08:55:52 EST 2007

Robert Adkins wrote:
>     Speaking of DRM...
>
>     Our next TV (Since our current one is starting to show that it won't
> be working for much longer...) is going to be a Widescreen HD. It's
> going to take up much less space on the TV Stand. So, I am going to toss
> together a Linux based Media System and I was curious if anyone here has
> experience with setting up an HD-DVD Player/Media System with Linux.
>
>     I would like to get the most out of the equipment. However, it's not
> the end of the world if we don't get "HD" resolution for watching
> movies. After all, we've lived this long without HD, we can still live
> fine without it, especially since we have no intention of moving up from
> Basic Cable.
>
>     -Rob
My thoughts also, at recent mug post meetings the topic has come up
about building multimedia systems. One thought is a do it all box but
that could be noisy. The next school of thought is 2 boxes 1 that is the
multimedia client which has the tuner cards (including maybe a cable
card unit, is this possible) and a card to suck in output from the old vcr.

How much cpu?

How much ram?

How much disk? Mirrored?

Is a tera-byte enough?

Should I think about 8 sata drives? Is this really necessary (for now)
but then I don't want to be limited in what I put on the system?

Duane