[mdlug] List archive and long lines

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 15:09:00 EST 2007

On 1/11/07, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at hotpop.com> wrote:

> Webmail is great if you like waiting all day for 80k of HTML to read
> a 2k message...which could have been downloaded already in one giant
> grab, along with all the others, while still reading the first message.

Are you living in the early 1980's?  Waiting all day for 80k? I don't
even wait a noticable amount of time for 1 Meg.

> Even in the comfort of home, I don't have that kind of time to
> waste.  Here in Baghdad, some days, I'm lucky to read my mail
> at all.

Well, I don't know what kind of net infrastructure exists over yonder,
but here in the states it's plenty good enough for webmail to be as
popular as it is (i.e. Hugely).

> And dealing with spam on webmail... ARGH.

Gmail filters out 99.99% of my spam, and I don't have to deal with it
at all, except to periodically review it for false positives and
delete it en-masse.

>  I'm getting about 2 MB
> of spam every day....somewhere around 300+  I definitely don't have
> time to play html-clicky-reload-clicky-reload-clicky all day with
> both the incoming box AND also the spam box (false positive spam
> identification is far too frequent).

False positives... I get it periodically from the autoresponder of my
blog when I do e-mail posts. Other than that? Nada.

Not to mention the filters I can apply, like "star"ing the e-mail if
it's got an obvious reply to me (like your post did), so that, when
I'm busy, I can attend to only the important e-mails. If anything
webmail helps me process my e-mail faster!

--
Wolfger
http://randomsynapsefiring.eponym.com/