[mdlug] Where's the "Linux Home Server"

bob dion bobdion at starline-ent.com
Thu Jan 11 13:31:11 EST 2007

Robert Adkins wrote:
> Ron Blanchett wrote:
>> So what is this new Windows home server doing that I can not do with a linux box in
>> my home, nothing. Yes it did take me a little time to get everything on by linux server
>> setup the way it needed to be for it to work for me but in the end I saved a lot of cash.
>> And updates to my setup are free till the end of time, can you say that about the M$
>> solution.
>>
>> -Ron
>>

>     I can't say that about the MS solution and I'm not pushing that
> solution.
>
>     We all talk about getting Linux out there and into people's hands so
> they know that there is something "Different" maybe even something
> "better" than what they are using right now. Yet, here we see a product
> hitting the market and flooding consumers with the "need" to have this
> product and the Linux community has nothing "ready to roll" that does
> all of this in an easy package that requires little to no skill with PCs
> to setup. (As is claimed/suggested through the marketing material with
> the "Windows Home Server".)
>
>     That's what I am saying. That's the kind of stuff that Linux needs
> to have in order to be the alternative to the MS product offering(s).

There are companies using Linux for their 'black box' media center/set
top boxes that do most of this ( I have not looked at them closely so I
can't say for sure). But, they don't go out of their way to advertise
the fact it's running Linux. Contrary to using software from MS who
wants their name out in front.

Sorry to be picking on you but, You also seem to be contradicting
yourself. You want someone or company to come out with a GPLed product
that matches the functionality of the MS offering but you have already
stated that the only way to make money with GLP software is from
support, so where is the incentive to do all this work plus spend money
on advertising?

The thing is, the software already mentioned are works in progress. A
complete home media server with easy menus could be announced next week
for all we know.

BD