[mdlug] Where's the "Linux Home Server"

bob dion bobdion at starline-ent.com
Thu Jan 11 11:24:01 EST 2007

Robert Adkins wrote:
> bob dion wrote:
>> Robert Adkins wrote:
>>
>>>     I say this, because MS has the new "Windows Home Server" product and
>>> quite frankly, from it's snappy little marketing campaign information, I
>>> know that Linux can do a better job for more than a few of the so-called
>>> problems they claim  that "Windows Home Server" *will* easily handle.
>>>
>> Here's two
>>
>> http://www.geexbox.org/en/index.html
>>
>> http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
>>

>     Neither of those fit the bill. Those are "Out of the Box"
> replacements for a "Media Center Edition" of Windows. This "Windows Home
> Server" product would be an extra separate box that acts as the central
> hub for the entire home network.
>
>     Printing, file sharing, outside of the home file streaming for media
> and straight out sharing for non-media files, automatic backups of all
> desktop systems entire file systems every night, automatic backups of
> all data stored on the "Home Server", simple expansion setup for adding
> additional hard drive space to the "Home Server", network security in
> the form of "pushing" AV updates and scanning all files on the server.
>
>     It does far more than a Media Center PC will do.
>
>     I know most of the above is possible with Linux. Does anyone have
> something ready to go, that does all of this already?

allowing playing them through various physical supports, either being
CD, DVD, HDD, LAN or Internet.

GeeXboX also comes with a complete toolchain that allows developers
adding easily extra packages and features but that might also be used to
give birth to many dedicated embedded Linux systems.

So what part of media server does this not support?

The hard work has been done for you. All you have to do is add cups for
printer support and clam AV for those frightfully insecure wind_ _ _  boxes.

What is it you want for Free?

BD