[mdlug] Where's the "Linux Home Server"

Kristoffer Marshall marshall.kris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 16:52:33 EST 2007

Michael Corral wrote:
> Robert Adkins a ecrit:
>
>> I say this, because MS has the new "Windows Home Server" product and
>> quite frankly, from it's snappy little marketing campaign information, I
>> know that Linux can do a better job for more than a few of the so-called
>> problems they claim  that "Windows Home Server" *will* easily handle.
>>

> I've been able to do all that with Linux for a long time.
> Glad to see that Windows is finally catching up!

:-p Same here. I remember a couple years ago, some MDLUG members were
helping me write a script that would throw a files from a messy download
folder into format-specific folders. I even extended the script to move
band-specific mp3s to their designated folders. Although this was all
done with filenames, I guess I could also do it with file.

> This things does quite a bit more. It helps automagically organize
> all of your files for you. Storing pictures with pictures, movies with
> movies, music with music and so on. It sounds like it rearranges your
> files for you based on metadata, or more likely based upon file extensions.

Can be done with a script. Also, there are a couple programs available
now that can do this. I can't think of them offhand though.
>     It also produces a quick to search index of all your files to combat
> "Digital Amnesia", along with Automatic Backups to eliminate losing any
> files.

Ext3. There's a program I used that also makes its own index, but oftent
crashed on me from my very large collection of music. This was 2 years
ago though.
>     I assume this next bit requires Vista Home Edition PCs as it also
> duplicates the entire file structure off of a given PC, nightly.
>
>     There's also the go anywhere and access your Digital media. As in,
> go to your friend' house, log onto your friend's PC and then stream a
> song from your "Windows Home Server" or Home Networked PC. (Which I do
> find odd, since that kind of flies in the face of the whole Ultra
> Restrictive Gestapo-like DRM that the Music Industry and Microsoft are
> so strongly pushing.)

I played around with a program called GNUMP3d that does the same thing,
but works kinda odd. It'll give you a web interface to play an song, and
it'll stream the song individually to your computer. Also, there's
IceCast and various other programs out there that can be teamed up to do
the same.
>     ...and there's the whole, listen to music and watch crap from your
> "Home Server" on your Xbox 360.
>
>     -Rob
Samba, NFS, FTP, HTTP... Also, hacking together FancyIndex includes for
Apache can amazingly give you professional and speedy results. I haven't
played with MythTV much, but I heard it's supposed to be the
bomb-diggity for this kind of stuff.

Stop doubting and start BASHing people!

Okay, that was a poorly written pun. :-p Anyway, linux can do it all.
It's just a matter of making it all work together easily.