[mdlug] Where's the "Linux Home Server"

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jan 10 14:36:11 EST 2007

Richard Harding wrote:
> Robert Adkins wrote:
>
>>     I say this, because MS has the new "Windows Home Server" product and
>> quite frankly, from it's snappy little marketing campaign information, I
>> know that Linux can do a better job for more than a few of the so-called
>> problems they claim  that "Windows Home Server" *will* easily handle.
>>
>>     -Rob
>>

> Isn't this just about any of the network manufacturer's NAS devices.
> Some come with usb print servers, wireless, and support smb out of the
> box for sharing across windows/linux.
>
> Rick

    Nope.

    This things does quite a bit more. It helps automagically organize
all of your files for you. Storing pictures with pictures, movies with
movies, music with music and so on. It sounds like it rearranges your
files for you based on metadata, or more likely based upon file extensions.

    It also produces a quick to search index of all your files to combat
"Digital Amnesia", along with Automatic Backups to eliminate losing any
files.

    I assume this next bit requires Vista Home Edition PCs as it also
duplicates the entire file structure off of a given PC, nightly.

    There's also the go anywhere and access your Digital media. As in,
go to your friend' house, log onto your friend's PC and then stream a
song from your "Windows Home Server" or Home Networked PC. (Which I do
find odd, since that kind of flies in the face of the whole Ultra
Restrictive Gestapo-like DRM that the Music Industry and Microsoft are
so strongly pushing.)

    ...and there's the whole, listen to music and watch crap from your
"Home Server" on your Xbox 360.

    -Rob