[mdlug] An Idea inspired by....

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jan 10 12:25:03 EST 2007

Michael Corral wrote:
> Don't know about that. Linux is a lot easier to use than it was 10 years
> ago (or even 5 years ago). GNOME and KDE are very Windows-ish. I've seen
> kids pick up how to use Linux very quickly. It doesn't take a rocket
> scientist to navigate the menus to launch the web browser (web browsing
> being the primary activity of Joe User). Last summer I set up a PC with
> Linux for my mom, who had never used a computer in her life. She was
> logging in and browsing the web in no time.

    ...and for every single anecdotal story like that, there are at
least an equal number of stories showing the opposite.

    My mother has been using computers for years. In college, for her
Accounting Degree back in the 80's she had to take a number of computer
related classes, even at least one on programming.

    I love my mother to death and she is functionally retarded when it
comes to computers, even though she uses one daily for her accounting
job. She can't mouse to save her own life. She can't handle ANY changes
in applications, either visually or interface-wise. This is someone who
has used computers daily, since the mid-90's.

-Rob