[mdlug] Naked/"dry loop" DSL and Linux-friendly ISPs

Joseph C. Bender jcbender at bendorius.com
Tue Jan 9 14:28:24 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 11:37 -0500, Robert Adkins wrote:
>     Their level of lying is stupidly silly about this. We live less than
> two miles from their main switching center in the Royal Oak area.

	Actually, this isn't a good yardstick.  Physical CO distance doesn't
make much of a difference, infrastructure wise.  It's all about the
total copper loop length.

>     Their website won't allow me to "upgrade" my DSL Service speeds, yet
> the person on the phone says that I can, as long as I let them power
> vacuum more money, for useless services, out of my wallet.

	Yeah, they're really bad with that.  This is one of the advantages to
using a non SBC DSL provider, as they're not usually as large, uncaring,
or stupid.

>     I wouldn't mind being able to run a server. One of these days I am
> intending on getting my photography business going and wouldn't mind
> hosting some of my own things, on my own server. That is neither here
> nor there though.

	Figured I'd mention it while I was at it.

>     If we switched to Cable Modem, we would entirely drop the phone line
> in the house and stick with our cell phones for all calls. We really
> have no use for the house phone, other than to receive a few calls and
> phone the local pizza place.

	Ah, you'd mentioned all three in your original post so I thought I'd
share what I knew.

JCB