[mdlug] An Idea inspired by....

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:03:42 EST 2007

On 1/8/07, Ron Blanchett <rrcb21 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It isn't that there are not enought games it is that there are not enough
> of a market share.
> You have to win one battle at a time.

Chicken vs. Egg...

You have to start with getting people to use Linux on there desktop and then
> you move on
> to the Hardware makers, the Game Developers, and the like to get them to
> publish drivers, games and such for Linux. You have to have the market share
> before you can get everything else.

If you have market share, you get everything else. If you have everything
else, you get market share. The problem is, how to get one or the other when
you possess neither. Do you seek an egg to grow a chicken from, or do you
seek a chicken to lay your egg? Games will not support Linux until Linux has
market share, but Linux will not have market share until it can play games
that are in demand. It's a dismal picture.

When I reinstalled Windows, my initial idea was to dual boot, and only use
Windows for gaming purposes. However, this did not happen for two reasons:
1) Dual booting is a royal pain in the buttocks.
2) Virtually everything I want from Linux (except stability and freedom from
worrying about virii) is available (or has a work-alike) on Windows. I even
got an EXT2 driver so that I can access my Linux data partitions. Does
Windows still frost my shorts? Yeah, fairly often, but it's getting better
as I discover more tools that make it more Linux-like. And a lot of it is
F/OSS.

--
Wolfger
http://randomsynapsefiring.eponym.com/