[mdlug] Chaning distros

Novak, Louis (L.M.) lnovak1 at ford.com
Fri Jan 5 13:03:46 EST 2007

Ron Blanchett wrote:
>This is highly unrecommended by both the Ubuntu and Debian maintainers.
>In some cases it can cause system instability and sometimes the package
might not work.
>Ubuntu is about 1-2 generations ahead of Debian Stable at this point.
>Installing Ubuntu Edgy is like installing Debian Unstable and Ubuntu
Dapper is like Debian testing.
>Keep in mind though that the packages are compiled different options
and installing a package from the Debian repo's might replace libraries
that where installed from the Ubuntu repo's which can lead to system
instability and crashing.

I stand corrected. The answer from the FAQ suggests source packages may
be easier to install. It also states anything Debian provides is
available
for Ubuntu so the original criticism is incorrect.