[mdlug] IBM plants Linux on the desktop

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Wed Feb 14 18:28:19 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 15:55 -0500, Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> > From: Michael Corral
>
> > Have you tried Qemu? I run that on the rare occasion when I need to
> > use some Windows app in Linux. I used it to install MS Office, and
> > it works fine. And unlike Crossover (which I've also used) it doesn't
> > use Wine or any kind of Windows emulation, and it's free.
>
>  Well, maybe, or VMWare Workstation. The problem is that I don't just
> have to get the app running, I have to install the OS, and I'm not at
> all sure I can get the printer working transparently. I mean, from what
> I understand it would be *either* you can print from QEMU/VMware, or
> else the host Linux system, but not both...

	I'm not sure I understand what you mean with transparently. I use
VMware and I simply start the player and park it on one desktop. I can
print/scan/use wireless/etc in MS even as I switch back to the Linux
host system; on the other desktops to do the same as I wait for MS to
catch up. I think that's what you're questioning?

Regards,

Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
http://petertheplumber.net