[mdlug] Sniffing scsi traffic to/from scsi device driven from a virtual machine

Fati fati at venerealinjection.com
Mon Feb 5 22:40:04 EST 2007

On 2/5/07, greenproc <greenproc at charter.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to get more information about how a windows driver is communicating
> with a scsi device (scanner to be specific), to assist further development of
> the sane-project.
>
> My approach is to run windows on a vmware virtual machine, and then use a linux
> utility to watch the scsi bus.  Which utility to use I'm not sure, and given the
> fact that I'm bound to have choices after doing some research, I'm hoping to get
> some feedback from anyone who may have useful suggestions.
>
> It has been suggested to use strace, but I'm not sure what to strace.
>
> Another suggestion is to use in-kernel debugging, but if there is a simpler way
> that would be better; unless in-kernel debugging is easier than it sounds.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help :=)

strace would be an unlikely candidate as you would have to trace the
vmware process itself and you would get a ton of white noise.  I
suspect the answer could be a man-in-the-middle pseudo device that
acted as a proxy to your actual scanner that would log the back and
forth communications, but as I'm not a kernel hacker, I'm not certain
this would be any easier than using in kernel debugging.

--
Fati
"I don't know what weapons World War Three will be fought with, but