[mdlug] Network backup options

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Sun Feb 4 14:16:01 EST 2007

greenproc wrote:
> R. Kannan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The hard disk on my (old) desktop has become instable and I would
 >> like to backup the linux partitions on it to DVDs.  I would like to
 >> tar up / compress the data directly on to my laptop (through the
 >> network) and use the DVD writer there. Is there a way to accomplish

Considering that laptop components are the most expensive of each breed,
and that CD & DVD burning is heat intensive, and therefore, hard on the
electronics, believe me, you do NOT want to be doing backups by burning
DVD's with your laptop's internal DVD burner.. .you're just setting
yourself up for a $100 component failure...which will then repeat itself
at regular intervals.

Buy yourself a normal "desktop" DVD burner, and put it into an
external USB 2.0 conversion kit.  You'll still burn out DVD
burners, but

1) it won't be the one that's INSIDE your laptop

and

2) The full-sized DVD burner has a replacement cost at about 1/3
that of a laptop-internal DVD burner.

 >>  that without having to NFS mount the desktop partitions to the laptop?

What is your objection, exactly, to NFS mounting your desktop filesystems
in read-only mode for the purpose of doing backups????

It's not only the most obvious solution, it's also the most practical.