[mdlug] Debian

Carl T. Miller millerc at cantonpl.org
Thu Feb 1 21:03:53 EST 2007

jack freeman wrote:
> I have debian installed on my system but I am having a hard time
> installing new packages. anyone out there able to point me the right way?

Sure.  Start by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and making sure
that it has a couple of uncommented lines, such as these:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

Next run "apt-get update" and you should see that it is getting
and reading some package lists.

I'd recommend that you run "apt-get upgrade" if you haven't
done it recently.  This command will find all upgraded packages
and offer to install them.  Answer "y".

You can now install programs easily.  For example, to install
lynx, the text based web browser, type "apt-get install lynx".

If you want to know more, check out:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html