[mdlug] Linux is "greener"

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Thu Dec 6 16:47:35 EST 2007

> > From: Rich Clark <rrclark at rrclark.net>
>
> > Even Windows would be sluggish with only 384MB RAM. You
> might want to
> > get a stick of RAM for that machine since it's pretty cheap
> for a GB.
>
>  It's a Dell Inspiron 2650; it can only handle 512MB max. I
> already bumped it up from 256MB. Replacing the second memory
> module is much harder, though... I'd have to literally
> dismantle the entire laptop.
>
>  Not a project I'm likely to tackle anytime soon. I have many
> other projects demanding my attention, most of them
> non-computer-related.

	It's not that hard.

	You have to lift up the keyboard, which is very easy to do, once you
have done it enough times on enough laptops.

	To do that, you might need to open up the laptop, flat like a book,
gently pry the plastic bits that are attached to the base of the laptop and
cover/protect the hinge.

	Once that is up, there are likely two screws holding the keyboard in
place, lift that up and then you can unscrew the EMI shielding and reveal
the RAM.

	This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do.

	-Rob