[mdlug] Fwd: tar advisory

M. D. Krauss zeros0and1ones at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 02:56:53 EDT 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:51:35 -0400
"Clinton V. Weiss" <cvweiss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, that goes directly against my argument then.  I should have
> looked closer myself.
>
> Now one has to ask, why aren't these other distributions on top of
> things? If this newer version was released over a year ago then it
> should be fairly easy to include that version.  I'm not familiar with
> the packaging of those distributions, so I'm making a wide assumption.

It would be true to say that Debian takes security more seriously than
most other distros.  It would be true to say that this is not a very
serious vulnerability, and that you shouldn't be unpacking random,
untrusted tarballs as root anyhow.

Which, if either, applies in this case, is left as an exercise for the
reader - meaning, I don't know.

Regards,
Matthew