[mdlug] Wine run as root?

Brian brian at dangerbacon.com
Wed Aug 22 11:39:33 EDT 2007

On 8/22/07, Carl T. Miller <millerc at cantonpl.org> wrote:
> Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> >  One game I tried a while back was "Freedom Force", but it didn't work
> > the last time I tried, at least a year ago. But recently I'd read a
> > favorable report in the Wine app database, and it was on my distribution
> > (Ubuntu 7.04). So I tried last night, and it failed. I tried a few
> > different
> > options, but no dices. (The "-nosound" option just had it hang, consuming
> > CPU but not otherwise doing anything noticeable. I could ctrl-c out of it
> > easily, though.)
> >
> >  Then, because I'd read something in a different game report, I tried
> > running it as root: "sudo wine fforce.exe". And it worked! Flawlessly, so
> > far as I could see, once I'd set the sound to the correct driver.
>
> Wow.  I would think that any files that wine needs to access
> would not require root access.  I'm just wondering, does the
> user have permissions to access the audio device?  Are there
> any other devices that the user doesn't have write access to?

Yea, that definitely sounds like a permissioning issue somewhere.  I
would try running wine through strace and see what files it's trying
to touch and what's getting denied as a regular user, particularly
files in /dev. If I had to take a SWAG at it I would first suspect the
permissions on /dev/dri/card0.

--
Fati
"It's not stupid, it's advaaanced!" - Tallest Purple