[mdlug] Wine run as root?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Aug 22 09:50:15 EDT 2007

I've had limited success running Windows games under Wine, but the few
successes have been very effective. "American McGee's Alice" runs, so far
as I can tell, flawlessly. Half-Life 1 and related games run from Steam
with a few minorly-annoying misfeatures.

 One game I tried a while back was "Freedom Force", but it didn't work
the last time I tried, at least a year ago. But recently I'd read a
favorable report in the Wine app database, and it was on my distribution
(Ubuntu 7.04). So I tried last night, and it failed. I tried a few different
options, but no dices. (The "-nosound" option just had it hang, consuming
CPU but not otherwise doing anything noticeable. I could ctrl-c out of it
easily, though.)

 Then, because I'd read something in a different game report, I tried
running it as root: "sudo wine fforce.exe". And it worked! Flawlessly, so
far as I could see, once I'd set the sound to the correct driver.

 But I don't like running programs as root. It shouldn't be needed, and
Googling around I can't see much information about this problem. Anyone
have any suggestions or experience with this sort of problem?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317

    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but
             what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein