[mdlug] Flakey hard drive

R. Kannan rkannan at peoplepc.com
Sat Aug 18 16:49:32 EDT 2007

All,

The drive was readable and so I decided to copy the contents to a new drive (of larger capacity) and start booting from the new drive. This is what I did so far (after booting up in knoppix)

1) Install hardware making the new hard drive master (hda) and the old drive slave (hdb)
2) Create Windows and Linux partitions on the new drive (hda) similar to those on old (hdb)
3) Make 'Windows-C' and /boot partitions bootable

This is what I plan to do (after booting up in knoppix)

4) Copy contents from the partitions in hdb to those in hda. Can I just use a 'cp' command to do this or is it faster with 'dd'? Should I do fsck on the old partitions before I mount/copy?
5) Edit the /etc/fstab file in hda '/' partition to reflect the new partition locations
6) Edit '/boot/grub/menu.lst' in hda '/boot' partition to reflect new locations of bootable partitions
7) Install grub on MBR of hda and reboot (See Carl T Miller's note earlier this month to the list).

Is there anything else I need to be doing or be careful about?

Thanks in advance for your help.