[mdlug] Installing grub to MBR

Carl T. Miller millerc at cantonpl.org
Sat Aug 11 16:32:59 EDT 2007

Hey Gib, I found my notes on re-installing grub.

In this example, I assume the MBR is on /dev/hda and the
root filesystem is on /dev/hda1.  Replace these with the
actual values you need.  I also assume that /boot is on
a separate partition, /dev/hda2.  Replace with the real
value or skip this step if /boot isn't on a separate
partition.  You may need to mount other filesystems
relative to /mnt/restore, similar to how /mnt/restore/boot
was mounted.

Boot from a Knoppix CD.
su -
mkdir /mnt/restore
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/restore
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/restore/boot
mount -t proc proc /mnt/restore/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/restore/dev
chroot /mnt/restore
grub-install /dev/hda
shutdown -r now

After this is completed, just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
to add a new entry for the Windows partition.