[mdlug] ESX3 IO Problems

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Thu Aug 9 11:15:02 EDT 2007

my glance at the output you sent made me think that it was generated
by a script.

Interestingly, I just moved a few ISO images to a virgin 3.0.2 2950
yesterday; scp maxed out at 3MB/sec.  later i scp'd them from the
same source to a different target host (redhat) and i got more like
9MB/sec (basically maxed out the 100Mb/sec ethernet), so it wasn't my
sending system that was the problem.

so, basically, i can replicate your issue.

let me know what vmware says but i think their answer is going to
be that this is expected behavior, and for good performance you
need to use a SAN.

On a semi-related note, do you have anything in place to monitor
the dell RAID cards on your ESX servers (eg, notification of disk
failures)?  There's no useful info in /proc/scsi.

It looks like maybe i can get this via IPMI and ipmi serial-over-lan.
Have you done this?

actually as i go back and look at this, the 2850 has useful info
in /proc/megaraid but the 2950 doesn't have info in
/proc/scsi/megaraid_sas.  Doh.