[mdlug] Flakey had drive

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Aug 7 08:27:41 EDT 2007

> From: R. Kannan

> The hard drive on my desktop has become flakey. Sometimes, it
> boots fine but fails to access data. When I booted on knoppix
> CD, knoppix recognized the partitions and set up the fstab
> file correctly but I could not mount the partitions.the
> 'mount' command just hung in there. I tried 'cfdisk' but it
> couldnot find the hard disk.

 Well, that's not good. You can look for boot options in the "ide.txt"
file in the "Documentation" directory of the Linux source. And this
might give you an idea:

 http://www.midwayisd.org/PDFs/help/200ways.pdf

 I spent an evening working with my niece's laptop at one point, pulling
off a few pictures at a time; it would lock up if I tried to pull a damaged
file, but I was eventually able to get most of the pictures of her engagement
off her laptop.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                (313) 227-2317

   Microsoft Windows - Don't get frustrated without it.