[mdlug] Trouble printing to CUPS from other computers

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:28:11 EDT 2007

On 8/5/07, David Lee Lambert <davidl at lmert.com> wrote:
> I have a DeskJet attached to a computer running Ubuntu F (originally Ubuntu
> D),  and I want to print to it from a computer running Windows ME.  Several
> months ago, I had the printer attached to the Windows ME box,  and I was able
> to print directly and also from my laptop (which was running Debian 3.1,  now
> Debian 4.0, with LPRng).  I had to do some tinkering to figure out how to
> print from my laptop after moving the printer;  but I can't figure out how to
> print from Windows.  I've tried configuring Samba on the Ubuntu box;
> installing a Postscript driver on Windows;  and reconfiguring Samba+LPRng on
> another computer that runs Debian 4.0.  Nothing works.  (Actually,  I can't
> print from the second Debian box either...)

Can you connect to a share on Ubuntu from the Windows system?  If not
then it's an authentication problem.  Without the Windows box logging
into an account on Samba, it probably can't access anything.  In
peer-to-peer setups I normally have the following in the
/etc/samba/smb.conf global section:

   guest ok = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root

Don't try this without a network firewall in place because it opens up
access to the whole world.