[mdlug] k3b keeps appending to DVD-RW

Robert Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Mon Apr 30 01:14:07 EDT 2007

R,

> When I try to write on to DVD-RW in K3b, it keeps adding to the tracks
> (adding to te existing data) When I try to erase the data on the DVD by
> "Tools->Format DVD+-RW", it says there is no need to erase.

> Is there a setting that I need to change?
> Am I missing something obvious?

I suspect you are unaware that nearly all CD/DVD writer hardware,
writes TAO (track at once).  The inexpensive writers depend on
steady mechanical rotation and precisely timed laser modulation.
Once the mechanical rotation begins, it cannot be stopped or
even slowed significantly.

Consequently, tools like k3b (and underlying cdrecord) queue
files for later writing.  When you drag and drop files on the "tracks"
in k3b they are added to the queue.  Later when you select
"burn ... to CD/DVD" the queue is executed.  Since the format is
laid down with the data, there is no need to separately erase.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier