[mdlug] SSH-from-laptop issues

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Sun Apr 15 20:28:28 EDT 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007 09:36 am, Jason Taylor wrote:
> Can you use other network services without issue on your laptop (e.g.
> Samba, web browsing, FTP)? By SSH not working, do you not get a login?
> Do you get a login but username/pass rejected? How is your firewall on
> your laptop configured? Does SSH on your laptop work to other
> destinations?

To answer your questions,  all network services to all other hosts worked
fine.  Neither SSH nor HTTP to the host in question worked.  I have no
firewall on the laptop (kernel 2.6 compiled with IPtables support,  doing NAT
from a VMware internal network, but it's not configured to block any
traffic).  He didn't give an error-message;  they just waited to connect.

Today I looked at this again, and I think I've identified the likely culprit,
although I'm not sure when I'll be back at my dad's house to test my new
theory.  I have an entry in the "/etc/hosts" file on my laptop for the host
in question, with an address in the private range I use behind the firewall
at my home (for example, 192.168.77.0/24).  My dad's house uses a different
private range (for example,  192.168.44.0/25).  When I used my laptop from
foreign networks in the past,  I guess an ICMP unreachable message was
generated,  forcing my laptop to look for another address;  but on this
particular network,  the TCP SYN packets just disappeared.

I don't really need to use a "hosts" file for that particular server anyway...

--
David Lee Lambert ... Software Developer
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813 ; alt. email <as4109 at wayne.edu> or