[mdlug] Have I ever said...

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Apr 11 09:23:52 EDT 2007

...how much Windows can make we want to absolutely kill everyone nearby me?

    Recently, we picked up a replacement LCD Flat Panel monitor. This is
a model with the nifty feature of being able to be twisted about it's
central axis to put the screen in "portrait" or "landscape" modes. This
requires a vendor supplied driver to enable the Windows display to be
switched with a simple mouse click.

    So, I installed the software driver.

    Less than a week later, there's an update from Microsoft that is
automatically installed across all of our PCs. No big deal.

    Except for the PC with the vendor supplied LCD Driver.

    It won't complete the boot process. It won't complete the Safe Mode
login process, it won't complete the Command Prompt login.

    All my searching reveals that this is a known factor with LCD Flat
Panel Drivers and <expletive> Windows XP.

    Since the blasted PC has a SATA drive, I need to tear apart a few
PCs corpses I have laying around to dig out a Floppy disc in order to be
able to use the Windows XP Install CD to finally, possibly, recover the
<expletive> thing.

    Why in the ever-loving world should a LCD Flat Panel Driver make it
impossible to boot Windows XP? Why does the "Last Known Good" and the
supposed "No Driver" Safe Mode fail?

    Thank you reading my angry rant filled with rhetorical questions,
you may now return to your regularly scheduled discussions.

    -Rob